Saturday, March 28, 2020

In Search of Charlotte


I usually try to do a little genealogy every day. I also prefer to find everything I can in one source before moving on. This makes it easier to write those source citations.

The other day I thought I would go through the St. Louis, Missouri guardianship records on FamilySearch. I tend to go page by page, just in case the indexing isn't correct. In the first book, I found something unexpected. It appears that my 3rd great grandfather, Christian F. Kienlen, was made the guardian for a three year old girl named Charlotte, a "free mulatto girl." 

Christian was a young man of 27. 
He was married only the year before to Marie-Louise Moreau.
He was a confectioner, the first in St. Louis, and he bought and sold quite a bit of real estate at that time. 

But who is Charlotte?

Clearly, I'm going to have to find some additional court records, since all I found was the bond. I'll have to wait until all of the government buildings are opened back up again, but I really hope I can find out more about Charlotte. 
Who was she? 
Who were her parents?
What happened during her lifetime?
Did she grow up and have family of her own?

I don't want that little girl to be forgotten.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Francis E. Stout: Farmer

Many of my ancestors "worked the land." This week, I thought I would take a look at one of these farmers. Francis E. Stou...