Saturday, February 2, 2019

The Library Mural Artist and his Wife

The Library Mural Artist and his Wife

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 5 Theme: At the Library

Robert Lawrence Rigsby
and 
Marjorie Catherine Clark Rigsby

Generation 6
My husband's Great Grandparents

Rigsby, Rigsby Clark




"The Birth of St. Louis" by Robert L. Rigsby, 1934
Source: St. Louis Front Page www.slfp.com; Photo of mural, Bob Moore


My husband's grandfather, Robert Lawrence Rigsby, was an artist. Sadly, that talent wasn't passed down to my husband or any of our children, but we are lucky that we can still see some of his grandfather's work.


This mural depicting the founding of St. Louis, Missouri, hangs in the Carondelet Branch of the St. Louis Public Library. It is very large and impossible to photograph, which is why I couldn't use my own picture here.


There were no family stories about this. My husband didn't even know. We happened to read about it in an old newspaper article.


This is definitely tops on our list of things we discovered at the library!


More of Robert L. Rigsby's work can be seen in my story below:



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Francis E. Stout: Farmer

Many of my ancestors "worked the land." This week, I thought I would take a look at one of these farmers. Francis E. Stou...