Saturday, February 23, 2019

Favorite Family Photograph

A New Discovery!

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 8 Theme: Favorite Family Photograph

Norman Miller Holland 
and Nelle Naomi Hartman Holland
with one of their children,
probably Norma Lucille Holland Aden

Generations 5 & 6

My Great Grandparents 
probably with my "Granny"

Rigsby, Kienlen, Aden, Holland, Hartman/Holland




When I learned about this week's theme, I thought I knew which family 
photo was my favorite. It was hard to choose. There are so many, and I thought I had one.
That all changed when my mom's cousin so kindly shared one of her 
photos with me. These are my great grandparents, Norman and Nellie Holland, with who we think is probably their first child, my Granny, Norma "Lucille" Holland.

I love this photo. My great grandpa is dressed up in overalls and a hat. There is a chair to his left, and I can imagine him sitting out there in nice weather enjoying the 
sunshine while his wife quietly worked around the house. 
I don't mean that to sound sexist. 
That's just how things were.

This picture was taken in the winter or early spring. My great grandma, "Mom Holland", seems happy. She is smiling. I never knew her when she was young, but now I can clearly see that Lucille will grow to resemble her. 

They were still a very young couple. There were seven more 
children in their future.

My favorite family photo changes a lot. Usually it's the one I've most recently discovered.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Francis E. Stout: Farmer

Many of my ancestors "worked the land." This week, I thought I would take a look at one of these farmers. Francis E. Stou...