Saturday, March 9, 2019

Uncle Joey

"Uncle Joey"

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 10 Theme: Bachelor Uncle

Joseph Patrick Kister, Jr.

Generation 3

My Brother-in-Law
and my kids' uncle

Rigsby, Kister



Joseph, or "Joey" as we called him, was my husband's brother.
There would eventually be four boys in the family, and Joey was the second.



Joan with Mark, Joey, and Mike  c. 1967



Joan and Joe with Joey, Mark, Mike, and Kevin, c. 1970

Joey was a kind person, and family was 
important to him. This was especially true as our family
began to grow. His photo album contained a few pictures of 
friends and vacations, but mostly family, and most of these of
his nieces and nephew. 

Our oldest daughter Jennifer loved her Uncle Joey.
I remember when we asked him to be her Godfather.
He looked so happy and proud!


1989

Joey was also there, video camera in hand, to take the first videos of our 
second daughter, Kristin. I was completely miserable at the time, itching like crazy after some medicine they had given me. He filmed
that too because he thought it was funny.
I did not.

He didn't live near us when our third daughter Jessica was born, but
whenever he visited he enjoyed seeing the girls.
His eyes lit up.

When Jennifer was six, he gave her a little kit to make necklaces. 
Just beads and plastic string.
We lost Joey before she turned 7. 
She made two necklaces. One for her, and one for him.
He still has his.


1 comment:

  1. I used to bug him explore the woods by grandma and grandpa's house with me because I was too little to go by myself. A student I went to school with told me he had a home movie of us playing together as kids because Joey was friends with his parents, but I unfortunately can't remember his name right now.

    ReplyDelete

Francis E. Stout: Farmer

Many of my ancestors "worked the land." This week, I thought I would take a look at one of these farmers. Francis E. Stou...