Saturday, March 16, 2019

Captain Thomas Cowan's Family

Captain Thomas Cowan's Family52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks


Thomas and Mary Elizabeth Barkley Cowan


Week 11 Theme: Large Family



Generation 10

My 5th Great Grandparents

Rigsby, Kienlen, Aden, Thompson, Cowan



I come from what is considered an average-sized family. I have two sisters. I only have cousins on my mom's side. I remember spending time with my cousins growing up, and we were all about the same age, or I should say most of us were born within the same decade, except the youngest who still likes to remind us he is the youngest (You know who you are!).

My mom's family was a bit different. I always thought it was funny that she was the same age as her Uncle Ray. They graduated from high school together.


I recently learned that she was the Maid of Honor at her Aunt Martha's wedding.


There is a lot of overlap in large families, and relationships were not always what we 

expect them to be based on today's perspective. 

Thomas Cowan and Mary Elizabeth Barkley had a large family of fourteen children.

It must have been a struggle to raise such a large family during an exciting
but difficult time in our nations's history.
This is a fairly well-researched family, given the number of descendants
that exist today.  Even so, there are still mysteries to be solved.





1 comment:

  1. I was so interested to find this page as I too am descended from William Thompson and Elizabeth Cowan.. Would love to discuss with you! Let me know if you would be willing to email me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Francis E. Stout: Farmer

Many of my ancestors "worked the land." This week, I thought I would take a look at one of these farmers. Francis E. Stou...