Saturday, April 27, 2019

James L. Thompson Makes A Generous Gift


James L. Thompson Makes A Generous Gift

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 17 Theme: At Worship


Generation 8My 3rd Great Grandfather


Rigsby, Kienlen, Aden, Thompson



I was raised Roman Catholic like my dad, but my mom was Baptist. When I was little, we would attend Sunday Mass with my dad at Seven Holy Founders, then head over to the First Baptist Church of Affton for Sunday School. Once we moved, when I was about 10 years old, my mom had trouble finding a church she liked so we would go to Mass with my dad. She eventually found her way to Canaan Baptist Church. Her faith was strong, and that church and congregation meant a lot to her.


(logo credited to the original artist, Piotr Mlodozeniec)


My heritage is a diverse mix of Christianity. Besides the Catholics and Baptists, there were Quakers, Presbyterians, Methodists, Reformed Dutch, and Anglicans. There were probably more that I can't recall at this moment. Some ancestors led their faithful flocks, and others led more secular lives. Like many family historians, I have at times been surprised by the intermingling denominations in my family tree. I am fortunate to interact on a daily basis with people from all over the world, from many diverse cultures and with many different belief systems. I embrace this diversity in my own tree and in my community. It makes life interesting!

In 1861, James L. Thompson, a Methodist who came from Presbyterian stock, along with Samuel Miller, deeded 2 1/2 acres of land to Obion Chapel Methodist Church for a church and cemetery. Thanks to this generous gift, people are still worshiping in that same location today. He lived just uphill from the church, and the rest of his tragic story I will save for another day.






Transcription of land deed: 
James L. Thompson and Samuel Miller to Deed 2 ½ acres Methodist Church, Obion Chapel. Registered on the 11 day of April AD 1861. We have this day granted and do hereby grant to the Methodist Protestant congregation at Obion Chapel the following tract of land in Obion County bounded as follows: Beginning at a small black oak Thompson's SW corner thence W 12 poles to a hickory with hickory pointers thence N 17 poles to a stake with 2 hickory pointers thence E 24 poles to a dogwood with 2 white oak pointers thence S. 14 poles with ash dogwood hickory pointers thence W 12 poles to the beginning containing by estimation two and a half acres to have and to hold to the same congregation their heirs their assigns forever we hereby warrant and will forever defend the right and title to the said land against all lawful claims what ever. In Testimony where of we have hereunto set our hands and seals this day of 1860 Ack. James L. Thompson [seal] and Samuel N. Miller [seal].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Francis E. Stout: Farmer

Many of my ancestors "worked the land." This week, I thought I would take a look at one of these farmers. Francis E. Stou...