Sunday, April 14, 2019

Using DNA to Confirm Research Conclusions


Using DNA to Confirm 

Research Conclusions


52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks

Week 15 Theme: DNA



Uncle Tom is our official family historian.
Some of us in the younger generations have inherited the "genealogy gene" and have done our own research, but Uncle Tom provided us with a head start. 
I have been able to use his information as hints which have led me to more 
in-depth information to fill in the gaps.

Uncle Tom has been right about his, and therefore my mom's, ancestors.
That amazes me. I believe he has done most if not all of his 
research the "old" way. 
He wrote letters. He interviewed people. He visited libraries, 
courthouses, and cemeteries.
What I didn't get from Uncle Tom were source citations. He may have them, but I have never asked because I enjoy the process of finding things again, for myself. It's like a treasure hunt.

My dad's ancestors have, for the most part, been easy to trace. His French Canadian ancestors settled in the "Illinois Country" during the early 18th century. This, of course, included what is now St. Louis, where many of his English and German ancestors also came. As a life-long 
St. Louisan, I have had easy access to records - no travel necessary.

In general, I find that I have a pretty complete tree. I have researched not only my ancestors, but all of the collateral lines. Because my tree is so full of branches, I haven't found many 
new links based on DNA alone. 

The one thing I do get from DNA testing is confirmation.




My ethnicity profile seems about right.

I suspected Joseph Guyot (whom I have written about HERE) to be my ancestor.  He was, along with the woman who bore his children. 
Her origins remain a mystery.

I seem to be related to a lot of people that I should be related to based on DNA and tree evidence. I should mention, however, that we could all be following the wrong paper trail together. 

Ancestry.com has a new feature called "ThruLines" which seems very helpful. I look forward to going through this in the weeks to come. 
I am hoping for some new discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Francis E. Stout: Farmer

Many of my ancestors "worked the land." This week, I thought I would take a look at one of these farmers. Francis E. Stou...